Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What I'm Thankful For

I know Thanksgiving isn't until next week, but I'm sure I will blink my eye and it will be next Thursday.  So, I'm going to share what I'm thankful for a week early this year.  Time goes by so fast these days that I seem to lose track of months.  September?  Don't even remember it.  I know October made its appearance because I have a ridiculous amount of Halloween candy to show for it.  Aside from Halloween, I don't remember much else about October.  But, I never, ever forget November because that's when we usually go to Disney,  it's my birthday month and Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.

The biggest thing I'm thankful for is my family, of course.  What did I ever do without them?  As hard as it is to be a mother sometimes I wouldn't trade my job for any other.  I'm pretty lucky because I get to spend my time with a couple of great kids. I'm also thankful for my husband who is the kindest, and funniest, man I know. When I think back to some of the greater accomplishments of my life like graduating from college, backpacking solo through Europe or climbing the corporate ladder, none of them is as valuable to me as finding the one man who encourages and supports me no matter what.

I'm thankful that another year has gone by and I am still in good health.  Even though I will be 41 I still feel like I'm about 25.  I am thankful that I'm not 25, because I don't think you could pay me enough money to go back and do my twenties over again.  But, I am thankful that I feel so much younger than my actual age.  I am thankful that I can run, jump, skip and hop anytime I want to. 

I'm thankful for my friend, Lisa, who gets up at 5:15 am with me to walk three miles every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  I'm thankful for my spinning instructor who has the best music play list on the planet.  I am thankful for my yoga instructor who never criticizes.

I am thankful for all of my friends who don't bother to correct me when I repeat myself.  I repeat myself often.  I just forget who I've talked to about a particular subject so some friends get to hear me talk about the subject more than once.  Oops.  I'm usually halfway through the conversation before an eerie sense of deja vu sets in and then I get sidetracked trying to apologize but most of my friends pretend like they are hearing my story for the first time.  Thank you, friends. 

I have so much to be thankful for.  I could go on and on and on, but what I know for sure is that the things I'm most thankful for aren't things.

What are you thankful for?

1 comments:

Meryl Jaffe said...

Hi Kim. Loved your blog. I particularly liked the part where you're thankful for friends who love you even though you repeat what you said - and you do it often. SO DO I...and I try so hard not to...

Your life with your kids sounds great. Mine are in college - it goes fast!

I blog about parenting from a psychologist/educator/seasoned mom perspective and hope you visit. My latest blog is about constructive criticism. I would hope you add your voice to the discussion.

I will definitely be back here!

All the best and happy holidays,
Meryl Jaffe, PhD
www.departingthetext.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Template Designed by Rajnish and Powered by Blogger