Saturday, January 21, 2012

It's Time For Allowance

The time has come that I must close my wallet and begin asking my kids to take a look in their piggy banks to determine how much money they have to do the things they want to do.

I'm not a big fan of allowance for things my kids should normally be doing like taking out the trash or setting the table.  No, I won't be monetarily rewarding them for doing chores they are supposed to do as members of our household.  But somehow, someway, we need to start a list of things my kids can do to earn some money.  Not a lot of money, just some money.

When they come to me asking for bagel or popcorn money for school PTA fundraisers, I need to tell them to use their allowance.  If they want a bagel or popcorn they are going to have to want it bad enough to use their own money to pay for it.

We are also going to set up a system where they earn an allowance, but must take 1/2 of their earnings and put it in their savings account.  They will need to save 1/2 but can spend the other 1/2 in any way they choose.

I cringe when I realize my kids aren't really thankful for some of the things they have.  Sure they love and are happy with their toys and extracurricular activities but don't have any concept of how much those things cost.  It's time to start working for some of those coveted items that they simply "must" have.  They might learn like those of us before them that some of those must-haves aren't really worth the cost.

I am bracing myself for the onslaught of "it's not fair!" and "but Johnny doesn't have to pick up dog poop in his backyard!"  The best lessons for our kids seem to be the toughest to implement.  It's hard to work to stand tough and create consistent rules because it's not easy being the bad guy all the time.  My parents used to tell me, "you will thank me for this someday."  It's true and I do.

So, let's add something else to the list of things my kids will get mad at me for.  Why not? 

Here we go.  Wish me luck!

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Template Designed by Rajnish and Powered by Blogger