Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What Happend to Good Old Addition and Subraction?

I hate math homework.  Ssh.  Don't tell my kids. I am their biggest cheerleader when it comes to anything homework related and I usually do a sis-boom-bah routine equivalent to "you can do it , you can do it, just put your mind to it!"  I try to be optimistic even if it comes off as a little annoying.

But lately I've been biting my lip until it bleeds to keep from screaming, "what on earth are they teaching you in school ?"  These newfangled math lessons are so foreign to me that I shake my head and mutter, "huh...what?"  I don't get it.

Have you ever heard of touch points? Students count forward and backward touching each number at specific points.  The number eight has eight touch points for example.  So, the student learns where the "points" are on each number and touch those points to add and/or subtract numbers.  If you are adding 3+8 you would touch the number three on each of its three points and then continue touching (counting) the eight points on the number eight to reach 11. 

When I asked why not just use your fingers the boys said, "we aren't allowed to use our fingers!"  As far as I know, humans with digits have been using those digits to count since the dawn of time.  Apparently, touching the points on a number somehow makes learning math easier because of its multi-sensory approach. 

Whatever.

I was confused on some of Nicholas's math homework when he was estimating sums.  He had to do about two more steps than I thought was necessary but he was instructed a certain way so he wouldn't veer from that instruction one iota.  When I offer an alternative, it's always met with "but that's not the way I was told to do it!"  Fighting ensues...

Remember when we had to memorize our times tables?  We literally had a table with the numbers 1-10 going across and down and we had to memorize all the multiplication numbers.  Now they use fact families.  Little triangle thingies that help students multiply and divide a "family" of three numbers.  Not only can they multiply but also divide those numbers on the same triangle thingy. 

Everything seems so new.  Yes, it's been (too many) years since I had to learn this kind of math, but I'm feeling so inadequate.  Even if I know how to do something, nowadays it's taught a different way so my kids won't listen to me if I try to explain how I came up with a different answer.  Even if my answer is correct, I cannot coerce the kids into learning the way I came up with the answer if that's not the way they were taught in class.

Math was never my strong suit and I'm having trouble helping with some of the more advanced homework questions.  I can barely keep up with some data and probability answers and fractions are coming back...slowly but surely.

I am so glad the boys will be keeping up with their math studies over the summer with their math tutor.  She is wonderful and she teaches them what they need to know going into the next year.  She can help them with all sorts of new concepts.  And, they listen to her. 

We will reach a point soon where I can no longer help at all.  Like with Geometry.  Right Angles?  Quadrilaterals? 

I'm out.

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Template Designed by Rajnish and Powered by Blogger