Monday, February 27, 2012

Why I Hate Birthday Party Gift Bags

I would like to know who started the ridiculous phenomenon known as birthday party gift bags.  Who decided it was a good idea to reward guests with trinkets, candy or other gifts for coming to a birthday party that has already been established as a fun-filled, cake and ice cream loaded whoop-de-doo affair?  Birthday parties by definition are fun.  Birthday parties by definition have birthday cake.  Why, oh why, is it necessary to give candy or other gifts to the guests who have come to celebrate with the birthday boy or girl?  Why?

I'm sure the parent who started this ridiculousness probably celebrated 1/2 birthdays or went so far as to give each kid a birthday gift on his sibling's birthday so no one felt left out.  The idea that anyone other than the birthday boy or girl deserves a gift is mind-boggling to me.

What started as an, I'm assuming, innocent gesture of reciprocity has turned into an ugly, my-take-home-gift-bag-had-more-crap-than-your-take-home-gift-bag conundrum.  These gift bags have gone from one or two trinkets related to the theme of the party to an over-the-top bag full of junk. 

Not just any junk, but junk from China.  The last two gift bags I went through included candy that was made in China.  MADE IN CHINA!  I know people really want to get the most bang for their buck, but c'mon.  Is it really worth the few dollars in savings from Oriental Trading to compromise your kid's and his friend's health by giving him candy made in a country whose food safety standards are sub-par at best.  Seriously, if it's made in China it's not going into my kid's mouth.  That includes candy, straws, Dracula teeth, etc.

The trinkets in the gift bags break after using one or two times.  The reason the trinkets are cheap is because they aren't made very well.  So, what's the point of giving a gift bag full of trinkets if the trinkets don't even last?  Are we so accustomed now to giving these ridiculous gift bags now that we simply fill it with inexpensive junk just to fill it?  Is the sheep mentality at work here against our better judgement?

Christopher had a bowling birthday party last year.  Each child received one or two bowling-related items like a ring or some stickers (notice I said one or two), but I spent more time on the pictures I took of Christopher with each of his guests. I used simple photo-editing software to frame each picture with a message like "Fun Times" or "Best Friends Forever" and sent the picture along with Christopher's thank-you notes.  I don't think anyone missed the candy or cheap junk. 




If you're filling a gift bag just to fill it please understand that I'm not alone in my irritation and I, like many other parents, simply throw the stuff away.  Again, just to be clear, if it's MADE IN CHINA, we do not consume it.  So, even though you saved a few bucks at Oriental Trading, you still spent money on items that ended up in my trash can.

Plenty of options are available if you really do feel the need to give a gift bag.  Google "alternatives to birthday goodie bags"  and many terrific suggestions will appear.

Non-candy or Chinese-junk related ideas.  How refreshing!

6 comments:

Crack You Whip said...

I am so glad someone touched in on this subject. Those trinkets couldn't hit the trash fast enough. I don't like clutter and that is really all they are good for.

Great post...enjoyed reading!

Julie Hedlund said...

I SO agree! I've tried to stop doing the goodie bags full of junk too. One year my daughter had a tea party, so I went to antique/flea markets and got all different china tea cups (each around $6). Every girl got to take her cup home.

Kim Murray said...

Julie, now there is a great parting-gift idea. What a nice reminder of the tea party!

Kerrie McLoughlin said...

i respectfully disagree. i WANT to start making goodie bags for FIVE freaking parties a year. it would be fun to send kids off with JUNK and watch their parents get annoyed with me! really, though, it all started with those dang wedding favors. don't get me started.

Anonymous said...

No thanks. Honestly AI may be being a bit biased and you could say I am inexpenrienced but, as a fourteen year old Chinese girl who has been hosting her own parties since I was nine. This post is both demeaning and quite frankly rude. Just because something from China is a bit bad quality, doesn't mean everything is! You are making assumptions based on the one or two pieces of crap your children's friends have given in party bags.? With this failing economy, many parents can't afford the top end stuff l. Even six dollars for a tea cup is a lot to some people.

Packaging Specialties said...

Good information about gift bags.

Gift Bags and Boxes

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Template Designed by Rajnish and Powered by Blogger